Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Third Day - El Cipes

     We all met outside our rooms at 6:30 AM for prayer then head to a great breakfast. I love the sweat plantains every morning and always look forward to it every time I come down here.     
     This is my fourth trip here. My first trip 5 years ago inspired me to go back to college to be a nurse practitioner. I felt I could do so much more to help as a NP. These trips also put things back into perspective that the petty things in life do not matter. 
     At 7:30 we headed an hour and half out to a more remote area where the roads are gravel, dirt and bumpy. Our driver Gastavo is an excellent driver despite the craziness of the traffic. There seem to be no rules but everyone seems to respect each other even though they make 3-4 lanes out of 2. They beep at each other but there is no anger. It seems to be a curtousy to warn each other that they want to pass or butt in front of you. Gastavo does not speak much English but his smile and sense of humor always is always makes one feel secure and safe. When ever we go through police check points, we never have to stop. I thought I heard Barb say he was with the police at one point. Is that right  Barb? Anyway he is an excellent driver and I always feel safe.
     We set up our clinic at El Cipres which was originally a farm that was donated to ACEM and used for retreats. The driveway drops down a steep embankment as one pulls in, then we had to cross a wooden bridge then up another dirt embankment which opened up to a beautiful opening where the camp was. There were people already waiting for us. We set up quickly and got started. 
     The flow went really well today. It was really hot like other days and we were all pretty sweaty. But this is nothing compared to these people who walked far to see us and then wait in line for hours. Patiently they wait without much water. It always amazes me how everyone works together to help one another. Even the children will help someone's else's child. Often when I begin to examine children in a family the ones that are done will look after the younger sibling. There were some toddlers that wanted their older sibling to comfort them rather than the mother. This community had quite a bit of anemia. I had a boy 13 years old with anemia which I started on iron until he could go to a clinic. There were some very sick toddlers in which needed to be started on antibiotics. Many of the medicine we take for granted they do not have so I always give out Tylenol. So thankful for this  opportunity be among such beautiful people.
     We have returned to our hotel and dinner is being served so I must go. Continue to pray for us but especially our Honduran brother and sisters.
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home