Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thursday Santiago & Gracias a Dios

It is our 4th day working. The medical team went to Santiago which was aprox. 40 minutes away and off the main highway. The roads are dirt and rock with huge potholes. The homes can be made of block or just a bunch of wood and/or pieces of tin fitted together to make a shack. It is amazing on one side of the street there could be a nicer block home and across the street is a makeshift shack.
     In Santiago we set up our clinic in the local church. The woman pastor said a prayer before we started. We gave out medication to 150 people before lunch and finished the day with a count of 193. There were many children with sore throats. One little boy needed his throat looked at and when his mom told him to come over he ran away and right out of the building. He was having none of that. :D
I have done alot of teaching on dehydration. It is very hot here and people work very hard all day long. It is a basic need that people easily forget.
     After lunch some of our team painted the little girls fingernails and colored pictues with them on the floor.
    The construction crew went to Gracias a Dios which is Pastor Juans community. They put windows & a door on a house and framed out the roof for a man & his family. They said the house is built into the side of a hill. It is quite steep to walk up to it.
    This is my first time to Honduras and doing a medical trip. I would like to stay and continue to help. The people are so appreciative. I know I will come back next year but if I could I would come back sooner. Dinora said there is such a huge need for medical clinics. She would be ready to have a team come every 2 months. And you don't need to have medical experience to participate.
   What a blessing this whole experience has been. It has touched my heart and I know I will never be the same. I thank Jesus for allowing me to be used by Him.
Laura Heacock

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura- Thanks for sharing. The people of Honduras are so gracious and loving. They do touch your heart and you are never the same. How awesome is that? :-) Terri

Friday, May 25, 2012 5:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home