Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Las Manzanas Day 2

I've never really done anything like this before so this whole expirience is a journey for me. Today we went to a village high up in the mountains-it was the scariest ride of my life-and helped a village that seemed very fortunate and thankful to have us there. I have been giving out parasite pills to the villages we have been going to and today was much easier than yesterday. The people and most of the children were so cooperative and aside from the slight confusion of thinking that I am Spanish like them and talking to me in Spanish- which I don't understand-I was happy to help them. By the time lunch came around we were finished and only a few more patients had to speak to the doctors. Most of the women and children were just sitting around so a couple girls, also on the team, and I went around to paint nails. Within minutes we had a swarm of girls surrounding us anxious to get their nails painted too. It was so much fun to see their faces of delight when they looked at their pretty nails. During this time the children were also getting presents of toys, crayons, pencils, games, clothes, and books. Hearing them laugh and watching them smile at all these things made me so happy. This experience is the chance of a lifetime and each day I am learning new things. It teaches me where my priorities should be and how I should really be grateful for all the wonderful things in my life. I'm proud to say that as a teenager, who complains about many things, I am learning to understand what is a necessity apposed to a wish or a want. By the time this week is over I will be going home with new life lessons that I will keep forever.

Alicia Roeder

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Alicia, for sharing your "journey." Prayers continue for a good, safe, healthy week! Jeanette

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep up the great reporting. Praying for you all!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home